Follow this blog with bloglovin

Follow on Bloglovin Follow Me on Pinterest

9/20/2013

Dear Future I am Ready: Abby


Abby - A woman that has the strength to have a family and go after her own dreams

Education: One semester left to get a Bachelor’s Degree in Business Administration with a concentration in Human Resources (I went to Graphic Design school for two years, as well as teaching for a semester, then moved on to the business classes - This degree has been a long time coming to say the least!).
Nationality: American
Age: 28
Previous International Experience: Stationed in Wiesbaden & Bamberg, Germany for 3 years with my husband who serves in the US Army.
Challenge: Finding myself in the midst of being a wife and mother, student, sister, daughter . . .
Result: Flourishing as a wife and mother, while achieving my goals of graduating with a degree, as well as branching out into the world of entrepreneurship to ensure a stable/better future for my children.
Hobbies: Art will always be a part of my life, whether it’s through pen and paper, sewing, knitting, crafting, photography, or anything else I can get my hands on. I love to read and educate myself daily. Basically, I want to experience everything this wonderful life has to offer, even if it’s only one time (i.e.-I took a flight lesson at 18 because I was sure I would grow up and be a pilot someday, my stomach didn’t agree!) 

Where to begin . . .
My story seems to be very different from those that have already been featured here.  I think we all started in the same place, with the same sort of dreams and idealistic desires that anyone has fresh out of high school or college with the whole world at your fingertips.  Life is all about choices though, and every single thing we do has an effect on us in some way, big or small.  In the middle of trying to find myself after a broken engagement (long story), and some trouble with financial backing for school, I met someone that changed the course of my life forever.

You know when you’re in that place, where you don’t want to look anymore and you want nothing to do with anyone or anything?  That’s where I was.  I wasn’t looking for anything, I just wanted to survive the next few months without trouble until I figured myself out.  Then I met a man in the Army from upstate New York.  He was everything I thought I never wanted.  A hockey player, when I had always dated cowboys, blonde and rather short too, when I usually went for the tall dark and handsome type. I am from Colorado originally, and I went to high school in Montana, so the thought of being with someone from the east coast seemed absurd.  It’s funny how things change when you’ve met the one that your heart desires - Well, to make a long story short, we got married, we have two fabulous children, and I wouldn’t change a thing.

I know that sounds cliché’, and it is, but it’s true.  I cannot imagine my life without these three beings in it.  However, I think things would be very different without them too.  What I mean is this:  When you have a child, your whole world changes.  You will never fully understand that until you experience it for yourself.  My life was no longer my own.  It belonged to a person that couldn’t even feed herself yet.  So, as it happens with many women, my plans and dreams were set aside.  I had much more important things to do now than tend to my own needs.  I also had a deployed husband, who would deal with his own set of issues upon his return, and we’d have to find our way back to a happy place somehow.

A little about tying the knot . . . 
Fortunately, my husband is very supportive and encouraging of me and my dreams.  He pushes me and challenges me to do things I want and need to do.  So here is some advice in the department of marriage: who you marry does matter.  Find someone that will dream with you.  Find someone that will be there to keep your inner fire going when you are unable to do it for yourself.  Find someone, that when all the love fluff is gone, you still have a foundation to stand on.  It will be very important because you have to choose to love that person every day, even when it doesn’t feel easy or right.  Ok, moving on.  My point is that my husband is wonderful and has always allowed me (don’t take that the wrong way) the space to choose what I want and need.  He was on board when we decided that I would stay home with our children instead of going back to work right away.  He was on board when I went back to school.  He was on board when I decided to embark on my new journey with the company I joined in April.  He has been my rock when I didn’t even know where to find a rock, if you catch my drift.
It’s about the journey, not the destination . . . 
So, while it may take some time, and while I have had to give up a lot of myself for the sake of my family, it has been so worth it.  Now I can finish some things I started out doing, and I can show my kids that it’s possible.  All you have to do is have a drive and motivation and someone on your team to keep you going when you want to give up.  I am two terms away from my first bachelor’s degree, and I am well on my way with the company I work for now that is changing our financial future.  Sometimes, you just need a little patience and a lot of faith and things will all come together.

My story was also complicated by the fact that my husband is in the Army and we moved every 8-18 months for 6 years.  Try holding down a job as a mother of two in that environment.  And then, try to keep your sanity when that husband deploys and you are left by yourself to raise your children and deal with the daily grind of life.  He didn't only deploy once, but twice, and those deployments were long ones especially if you need to run a family by yourself. Motherhood can be so isolating.  Some days it was all I could do not to stalk people at the commissary with the same age of children as myself just to find a friend.  At the end of the day though, we have two great kids that are surprisingly well-adjusted, and they know they are loved and cared for.  And my husband knows that our vows meant something because I’m still here, even after everything life has thrown at us.
Most importantly, I have found a way to be a stay at home mom, wife, and student, and still contribute to our family financially.  While money isn’t everything, it sure helps if you have a little.  So, about a year ago I seriously started searching for something I could do that would enable me to stay at home with my kids, while still allowing me the opportunity to bring in some income on the side.  By the grace of God, in February of 2013, I was introduced to It Works! Global.  I still thought about it for two months, but I finally got to the point where I figured I had to try it.  So, here I am.  An Independent Distributor with this amazing, faith-based company, and it’s changing our lives.  I can contribute a little each month and I feel better about myself because I get to help people every day and get paid for it.  I can bless my family and others in need and it’s only getting better.

What I love most about this, is that I can show other mother’s that they can change their lives.  I can show people struggling with health and wellness.  I get to honestly help people, every day, while still being available to my family when they need me.  How could I pass up an opportunity like that?  The best part is, it really was zero risk. I can choose at any time to walk away, but I choose to better myself, I choose to better my family’s well-being, and my husband and I have chosen to make a better future for our children. So what do I do? At this direct sale company I help people to get on a better track for being healthy with our products which can help to do exactly that. The other side is the opportunity, and we also help people get wealthy, while they're getting healthy.

Never, never, never give up . . .
The point of my rambling is that, you can do things that make you happy, as well as things that you need to do.  You can have the best of both worlds.  You may have to dig a little deeper to find it, but it is out there!  Find your middle ground and don’t settle.  Have faith, have fun, and most of all, enjoy the ride.

Want to read more? Or even contribute your own story (TStrahlendberg@gmail.com)? 

No comments:

Post a Comment