Follow this blog with bloglovin

Follow on Bloglovin Follow Me on Pinterest

9/28/2013

Dear Future I am Ready: Amy



Nationality: American
Age: 31
Occupation: Nanny - Shaping the future of our society one step at a time (for over 6 years already)
Previous job experience: Worked for one family for 5 years.
Challenge: To leave it to fate that I move 1100 miles, make my dreams come true and find a job as good as my previous one.
Result: To help every family I work for. To show them new ways to cope with each child and fostering their personalities.

The Time Is Now!
         I can only begin with a quote I am trying to live by right at the moment. “Arriving at one goal is the starting point to another” -John Dewey. I recently moved my entire life from Atlanta (Georgia, US) to upstate New York. I took a leap of faith after living in Atlanta for 13 years. Given the point that I am a nanny and that I can't imagine my life without a child in it on a day to day basis, it is a blessing that I can move anywhere anytime and still find a job. There will always be parents in need of a great nanny, right? Prior to moving to New York I applied for various positions and set up many interviews, but strangely now that I am finally here nobody is getting back to me. Although I have only been on the job hunt for a few weeks now I am frustrated by the fact that I still haven't found THE ONE family. It is now day two after moving here and I am already going out of my mind without working. Addicted to work, I guess...

Miss Independent!
         I have been a very independent person my whole life and know that I can take care of myself even if I have to work in a restaurant to make ends meet. Luckily I have a special someone in my life (which is also part of the reason for me to move up here) who is supporting me during this period in my life. He supports me in all that I do and can't wait for the moment that rewards my patients to wait for the perfect offer. So why can't I be comfortable with letting things happen and not having control of this particular part of my life?
        Even though I made this decision and am enjoying to be close to my family again, the thought of failing is killing me. What if I am not successful? What am I going to do if this career I am passionate about turns on me? I have found a way in my life of getting exactly what I want after all the work that I have put in. So why do I sit here questioning myself? Worrying. Doubting. Or as Jack Johnson would phrase it Sitting, Waiting, Wishing... What I realize when thinking about my future is that even though my childhood was difficult (as I always had to work for sustaining myself) it become more and more obvious that it was a gift as it prepared me "for the real world".
         Being a positive person most of the time also forces me to take a breathe and count to ten. Forces me to tell myself I am awesome and everything will happen when it's suppose to happen. I just have to be patient. I will be fine. I have handled worse situations and come out unscathed. I tell my friends all the time to just live their dreams and things will happen the way they are suppose to. I am doing exactly this at the moment although it seems so darn scary...
Follow your heart
What is most important to me?
         Love... Love is the most important thing to me. I jumped for love. As I turned 30 I realized that there are far more important things than making money or to keep piling up one status symbol after the other. It dawned on me that I want to have a family at some time and not only to make progress at work, but also my personal life. Coming from a family in which parents weren't there for their kids and I was forced to maintain family life, I am happy that I was able to develop the understanding that love can truly conquer all. I guess, this is what makes me an exception to the rule that I am proud of. All previously mentioned things considered, I am happy that I made the choice to follow my heart. It is something that will shape my future tremendously although it is the scariest thing I have ever done.

Arriving at one goal is the starting point to another...
          I am glad to announce that found a new job and have been working for roughly 3 weeks now. Needless to say that I feel much better about myself. Everything is starting to fall into place. I work for a great family that likes me as much as I couldn't have imagined. I got all I wanted and more. Now I’m realizing that this vast change made me a better person. I have risen to another level of happiness. There is no need for compromises in life. All you have to do is to be in charge of your state of mind. Set your own goals and never settle for anything less. Now I can't wait to define my next goal... 

Want to read more? Or even contribute your own story (TStrahlendberg@gmail.com)? 

No comments:

Post a Comment